From: alfranken2001 [mailto:alfranken@...]
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 4:49 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: : Rudder balancing

Sam,

Welcome back and congrats.

Now that we have the owner's verson of the story, it like Larry's
version certainly indicates that there is nothing in the design of
the rudder of the Q2-Q2XX airplanes, that has shown iself worthy of
change...certainly no cause for figuring out how to balance one.---

David G's info was certainly interesting, maybe in practical terms
he could suggest, if someone really wanted to waste their time, how
one could come up with a plan to redesign the rudder to make it easy
to balance...I do like James P's idea, but many think that a change
to the rudder is unnecessary, just like the same uniformed idea that
a reflexor is a bad thing...

Well, two for two in world of cable slop and bad springs causing
some rudder chatter, buzz or vibration, or some distant cousin of
flutter...anyone still think that balancing it is a good idea?

I you're not flying yet and still think so...it's probably better
time spent building, rather than fixing something that ain't broke.

I does bring up the point that as our planes age, as things wear,
checking the slop in the hinges and cables is a big deal. I
remember, years ago, being with Bob M. when he was working on his
aileron hinges, replacing the outboard bushing. He had noticed his
ailerons vibrating a lot on the ground and found a lot of slop in
them. He found at some RPM taxiing, that some frequency in the
airframe hit resonance with the ailerons and they shook,a lot.

I suspect the rudder hinge is subject to the same wear, being made
the same way...

Al

N200AL

In Q-LIST@..., "Sam Hoskins" <shoskins@g...> wrote:
Buzz, flutter, call it what you will, but it shook the crap of the
aircraft
and it scared the crap out of me. At least till it stopped.

I had this happen on about three occasions on my Q-200, all around
the 190+
mph range. It shook so much I thought I lost a part of the prop
tip or a
cylinder. Throttling back was no direct help, but slowing down to
about 175
stopped it.

Root cause was the cable tension between the rudder bellcrank and
the
tailwheel was too loose. I tightened the cable turnbuckles a turn
or two
and it never occurred again.

Newlywed Sam

From: "L Koutz" <koutzl@b...>
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Tail Wheel and Bellcrank Mods

I got rudder flutter approaching 200 MPH in a dive.

Larry

--- In Q-LIST@..., "alfranken2001" <alfranken@m...>
wrote:
When balancing "a rudder"?.....forward of the hinge point...

When balancing a "Quickie rudder"....forgedaboutit!

Unless you plan to fly a lot faster than any other Q on the
planet,
that is.

Al
N200AL