From: alfranken2001 [mailto:alfranken@...]
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 11:46 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: Mono wheel

Peter,

Sounds like quite a mod...

Let's see, doesn't work well with the Europa...let's try it on a Q...

As always, give it a try and report back, with input on stick
movements, both forward and aft...of course!

Do you think it would make a Q go faster too?

Al

--- In Q-LIST@..., Peter Harris <peterjfharris@b...>
wrote:
Damian,
I agree with Bob re the use of a mono wheel and I have heard a lot
of complaints about the Europa landing / ground handling perhaps
worse than the Q.But simple manual retractable gear could be part of
the new spec.
Alternatively if the canard tip wheels are retained in the new
design there is a ground handling issue to be solved. The canard at
present acts like an undamped spring and under certain conditions it
may oscillate or buck at the natural frequency of the "spring" and
this is one of the main characteristics which can give the Q a
reputation for a wild ride - even broken props. Most of us have
adapted to this little quirk by one means or another. Basically by
moving the stick either fwd or back the natural frequency of
the "spring" is altered which kills the oscillation. If the stick is
moved back there is the added advantage that there is more movement
available, increased load on the tailwheel for stability, and the
elevator acts like a flap or airbrake to reduce the ground run. If
pre- formed wings/ canard are made the design could incorporate
damping in the canard to eliminate this effect.
Peter
VH ONQ Q2 300hrs
But Bob is right