Frank Follmer

James Postma <james@...>

I am sad to say that Frank Follmer passed on about Sept 26 after a battle with cancer.

I would like to make a brief mention of his life and his contribution to the Q community. Very few builders knew of Frank because he was not a computer guy, not a pilot, did not attend any flyins, and his airplanes never left Chino.

The reason I know of him is that he had a hanger behind mine at Chino for 5 years. He was my mentor and kept me in the game.

Frank was from St. Louis. I don't think he had any formal engineering training. At first he did an auto body and paint shop. Then he went into designing and building box factories. His father was in that business.

When he retired, he moved to Villa Park, California and discovered the Q2 and decided to build one. He took some pilot lessons, but his eyesight could not pass the medical, and he gave that up.

He was a master builder. He met with Gene Sheehan and recommended changes and improvements to the airplane. This is when QAC and Revmaster were at Chino. At one time the Q operation took up almost all the commercial space at Chino.

Frank was very meticulous about his work. His innovations include:
the full height rudder - three were built
the sliding forward canopy
the raised canopy - 2 inches at the rear
bullet nosed and pressure recovery wheel pants
integral position lights in the wing tips (left, right, rear and strobes in one streamlined unit)

Frank built two airplanes, a Q2 and a Q200. I now own them both, the Q200 with Damian. The Q200 was crashed due to a separated prop and we are rebuilding it.

James Postma
Q2 Revmaster N145EX
Q200 N8427
Steilacoom, Washington
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT
May your header tank be always full and your wings right side up.