From: Kevin Fortin [mailto:kfortin@...]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 7:31 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] N44BJ

David and gang,

In the below reference to a Corvair engine, my thoughts went back to my
dune buggy days. I was never impressed with the engine, but at the time
we could buy a complete car for $40.00, so price prevailed. I may be
crazy or just uninformed, but my thought was when I read this, I would
never want a Corvair engine on anything of mine that might kill me if it
quit.

Maybe someone has worked out the details of making the Corvair a
reliable aviation powerplant but I just wanted to throw out my
"terrestrial only" experience with the thing and say; I'm not so sure. I
had an engine overheat and seize on 2 occasions. (I have to admit, we
weren't too kind to them).

If I had the financial choice, (and I admit the O-200 can get a bit
spendy) I would go for the aviation engine, which I know is pretty darn
crude, but has been proven over the years as pretty darn bulletproof.

In any airplane that lands as fast as a Q, wants to avoid an off field
landing if at all possible. The landing speeds are so high the
probability for "bad" is too high to be ignored.

My opinion and nothing more,

Kevin Fortin
sales@...