Re: N44BJ

Patrick Panzera <panzera@...>

Phil,

You are absolutely right! (At 16 years old, we both know engine
management didn't play a big role).

On the other hand, being an engineer (I know that dulls the dialog a
bit), I know there was a process that the guys went through to certify
the O200 that included a lot of things that are only visible when you
are looking at things in the aviation mind-frame.
You might want to read up on the process of getting an engine certified. It
might just scare the beejeebies out of you. Ford and GM do WAY more R&D and
testing on their engines than anyone wanting to get an engine certified would be
required to do (or has been required to do in the past). With some time and
money (and not many actual test stand or flight hours), I could get the Corvair
certified, and I'd have to change nothing from the way it's currently being
"converted" for aviation... which is basically accessories. (I might have to put
in a second set of plugs, but it's been done, flight proven, and there are
conversion plans available.)

Additionally, did you realize that a run out certified engine can be busted
down, parts cleaned and inspected, found to be at the extreme wear limit (but
still inside the specified limit) put back together, and called 0-SMOH?

One hour later (or maybe 100 hours if you prefer), the majority of the mostly
worn parts could then be out of spec.

Pat