Re: certifying projects without logs

haiqu

Hi James,

Not sure about FAA rules, but the Australian CASA boys don't care if
we do 1000 hours of work on it, since we may just be slow workers. The
operative rule is "greater than 51% of the manufacturing". The actual
rules state that consecutive homebuilders can claim the prior time
spent by the earlier builders, but only if full documentation is
presented. i.e. 8" x 10" colour glossies with the arrows and the
circles ... in reality they are unlikely to grant maintenance rights
to someone who bought a near-completed project, for obvious reasons.

Rob

--- In Q-LIST@..., "James Postma" <james@p...> wrote:
The best info I have on this at this time is that you only have to
show that
it was amateur built to have it certified. You do not have to do
the work,
but you should do some of it to get an airworthiness certificate
with you as
the manufacturer. If you have any of the build history it will be
helpful.
It would not be economical for a professional to build this airplane.
Usually they sell for less than the cost of completion, so there
should be
no question that it was amateur built. Do you have a bill of sale
from the
previous owner? Does he have a bill of sale? etc.

This info is from talking to the FAA in the Seattle area . Your
mileage may
vary.

You may be able to get the repairman's certificate if you do 1,000
hours of
work on it.

James Postma
Q2 Revmaster N145EX
Q200 N8427
Steilacoom, Washington
(253) 584-1182 9:00 to 8:00 PDT
May your header tank be always full and your wings right side up.