Re: X wind landings in a Q

HawkiDoug <hawkidoug@...>

Thankfully I had 150' wide by 7000' long runway. I used it all. The female controller came on after I was down and said "That wasn't fun was it? Now I remember why I don't fly."

I'm impressed with how tough this little bird is. I attempted 3 landings and all were very hard. I increased throttle with each bounce to stabilize things for the next attempt. The 3rd "hit" I just stayed with her and it all came out ok. I have tried to go over everything in my mind to see what I would do differently, but I can't clarify anything, so I either did everything possible to begin with or was just lucky, or both.

While the crosswind was a b*%ch, the gusting was the big issue. I kept power in to the last moment and when I cut the throttle the gusts would get me. Oh yeah, I'm glad I had differential brakes! I don't want to start the whole "bigger rudder" issue again, but My big rudder wasn't enough yesterday (yes I have a non standard rudder). Differential brakes saved my bacon. I did inspect the aircraft when I got back to the hanger and saw no damage. I did see paint from my tail wheel bracket on the tail wheel on the side where you would expect it. You can imagine the forces involved.

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

----- Original Message -----
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 8:02 AM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] X wind landings in a Q

Wow. I have done 40 knots and 40-45 degrees a few times... but in a 172.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:09 PM
To: Q-List
Subject: [Q-LIST] X wind landings in a Q

Went flying today and I just want to let everyone know that it is possible to land a Q in a 22 knot (gusting to 30), 80 degree crosswind. When my heart rate gets back to normal, I'll tell you about it. :)

Doug "Hawkeye" Humble
www.asignabove.net
Omaha NE
N25974

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org

Quickie Builders Association WEB site
http://www.quickiebuilders.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

Join main@Q-List.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.