Re: Oil Seperator

Jim Patillo

Kevin,

Thats exactly what happened. I will try and get those pix you need
in the next few days.

Jim P

--- In Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com, Boddicker <trumanst@n...> wrote:
Jim,
Did you go flying instead of torque testing your prop bolts?...:>)
And thus not take any pictures?
Don't blame you a bit if you did, but I would like to see some pics
sometime.
Thanks,

Kevin Boddicker
Luana, Iowa
Tri Q200 N7868B
Building

on 4/5/05 5:33 PM, Jim Patillo at logistics_engineering@m... wrote:

Mike,

It was me. I removed the separator and installed a "5/8 to 3/8 T"
inline in the breather tube. The 5/8" line then ran through an
anti
kickback valve into the 4:1 header at the collector. The 3/8"
line
from the "T" went to a pvc valve installed in the intake spyder.

This set up worked great for about 25 hours then the oil
crystalized
in the 3/8" stainless nipple at the collector and plugged.
Eventually blowing the front seal, additionally allowing oil to
emerge from places you wouldn't even expect.

As a result, I came up with a new plan and solved the problem
completely. I put the separator back on, still venting a 5/8"
tube
overboard but put the return line into a microwaveable baby
bottle
(1/2 size) with barbed plastic fitting and clear 3/8" tubing from
separator to baby bottle. This has worked great for quite a while
now with no oil on the belly. I installed the baby bottle just
below
the oil stick and empty it every 10 hours or so. Usually get
about 1
OZ.

Its amazing what a fraction of that can do to the belly of your
plane.

I'm very happy with the result.

Jim P.

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@t...> wrote:
Hey guys,
One of you wrote about taking the crankcase oil breather to the
oil
separator and then burning the output oil from the separator in
the
exhaust. My question is how did you do it. Specifically why
doesn't
the exhaust get into the crankcase?

I also found this interesting tidbit on the web.
From: http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm#carb_parts
Remove the cam gear and any parts associated with the vacuum
pump
drive. The vac pump gear acts like a big fan and will blow all
of
the
oil of the engine at high rpm.

I'm going to rip off my cam gear now!

Is anybody running without an oil separator?

Thanks,
Mike Q200