From what I can tell, this configuration must have been very draggy
and slowed the plane down quite a bit. It seems however, the faster a
plane (Quickie)goes the more pronounced the drag is. Care to comment
James?

Jim P.

--- In Q-LIST@..., michel & hélène moreau <mjmorea@v...>
wrote:
Jim,
Does Mark report a lower stall speed, like J.Postma?
We are all anxious to read an article from him.
Thanks.
Michel
GU-C-GQTU
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Patillo" <logistics_engineering@m...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 7:48 PM
Subject: [Q-LIST] GU vortex generator update

Guys,

As some of you are aware, Mark Summers has researched alot of VG
info, looking for the best vortex generator installation possible
on
a GU canard. His goals were to install the most effective VG in
limited quantity and have the least amount of drag. I flew with
him
Saturday and he reports the following;

He has taken off, flown and landed the airplane twice during
heavy
rain and found the control responses very effective and now a non
issue. When I flew with him previously without VG's, in
light/mediun
rain it was all he could do to keep it in the air. He stated
previously the stick pressure was so intense he worried that the
elevator tube might break loose from the foam. He did not want to
go
back to LVK and land in the rain that day so we went to a "dry
airport".

He further reports the loss of 2-3 knots at top end, which is
good
because he had the fastest Q on the Planet anyway!

He believes this has solved his VG issue. So,I suggested he write
an
article and share it with everyone, we will see. He is
an "explosives wizard" for Livermore National Lab and kind of
quiet
about what he does there and on his Q.

P.S I now have 40 hours on my new B&C starter installation and
haven't had one problem. If you are looking for a lightweight
starter for the 0200, I would again encourage you to try the B&C
cause it WORKS!

Regards,
Jim P