Re: N275CH First Flight Q200

Jim Patillo

Kevin,

Thanks for the input. It will help solve your problem.

Some answers to Jim's questions:

Gascolator: NO ******** Good

Heat sleeve: YES ******* Good.

Fuel line between carb and oil tank: NO******* OK where does th
efuel line come though the firewall? Is it the shortest run possible?

Aux tank: NO. Straight from header to carb.******* Filters clean?

Fuel on board: About 15 gallons*******OK

Fuel vent: Checked before and after flight. Not hard plugged but who
knows if fuel plugged it on this flight******* This can definetely
cause the problem you described. It happened to me once. Loss of
fuel flow is no fun. I had filled the main, header and aux tank and
mistakenly flipped the aux switch ON before takeoff, thus putting
fuel overboard via the vent tube. NOT GOOD! Carb heat on and off
contineously let me get it back to the runway.

Flow check header tank in flight position: Not in flight position
but it did flow like a racehorse with the tail on the ground. (I
rechecked this as soon as I got it back to the hangar.)

Actual flow I don't know.************There is a minimum FAA
requirement. Bob F correct me if I'm wrong but I think its 15%
greater than the fuel burn for the engine at full power. ie, 9.5 x
15% or 10.9 per hour (gravity flow with fuel pump off). The facet
pump should deliver about 30 gph to the carburator. This is
typically checked with the tail off, fuselage on the mains and rear
on the floor. You might want to do this check prior to another
flight.

Carb Ice: Not Likely at 65 F and dew point about 24F (-4 C on ATIS
before flight).********OK

Heat soak: Now I think that is the question. I did 3 fast taxis with
slow taxis back to the start. Typically, I had done fast taxis back
and forth and I had never seen the oil temp up to 190. I chalked the
higher temp up to the slow taxis and thought it would drop when I
got some air through the engine. I just might have been late and
wrong on that call). Please note it is a long way to the runway and
I was sitting a bit waiting for other aircraft to clear before I was
allowed my fast taxis.*********OK since removing my gascolator I've
been in 100+ weather at OSHKOSH and other places taxiing for
extended time and did not have that problem. It only happened to me
with the gascolator.

Where are you located Kevin?

Kevin