From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Jim Patillo
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 10:36 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Re: N275CH First Flight Q200

Kevin,

Congratulations you're still alive to tell the story. Some have not
been so lucky.

Do you have a gascolator? Do you have fuel lines running between the
carb and oil tank? Do you have heat sleeve over the fuel lines? Do
you have an aux tank? How much fuel did you have on board? Are you
sure your ram air to header was free and clear and not blocked by
fuel or some foreign matter? Was the header fuel flowed at the carb
in flight position (tail off, fuselage on the mains and split line on
the deck)prior to flight? If so what was the flow in gallons per
hour? Could you have had carb ice? Did you allow the engine to heat
soak prior to flight?

A lot of 0200 engines are much harder to turn over when they are
hot. What you experienced may be normal especially if your temps were
very high. Are you around anyone that can verify this condition?

Don't let this mishap deter you. I had a vapor lock at 60 hours
and the engine quit at about 150' off the ground in front of the
tower. I was able to get it around the pattern just as you did
by "pumping the throttle". I discovered the gascolator caused a vapor
lock, I shit canned it and the rest is history.

Regards,

Jim Patillo

--- In Q-LIST@..., "Kevin Fortin" <kfortin@p...> wrote:
Hey guys,

Got N275CH off the ground for the first time and got a few other
firsts as
well:

First engine malfunction

First declared emergency

First time in the dirt (mud)

All this took 60 or so seconds.

The good news is only the airplane and the pilot got muddy.

In a nutshell, I did three fast taxis, felt about as good as you
can for
your first shot into the air, then decided to give her a go. I
lined up on
the runway, hit the throttle and the takeoff went as much per plan
as I
could expect. Then after about 10 seconds and at about 100 feet the
engine
acted like it ran out of gas. Oh shit. I put the nose down, declared
emergency, and started heading back to the runway which at this
point was
obviously too short for the job at hand. Hoping for a plan B, I hit
the
throttle, the engine revved up, then slowed again after a few
seconds.
Seeing a connection there I kept pumping the throttle enough to get
her back
in the air and around the pattern for my "first" landing. Let's say
the
approach was not textbook but I got her back to the ground without
any
bounces or anything I could complain about. I let it roll out for a
bit and
then started braking. This is where the adrenaline of the situation
got the
better of me. I braked too hard and it started pulling a bit to the
right.
When I realized how hard I was braking I let off of the brake
(Johnson bar)
then ka-wam, I was headed for the other side of the runway. Damn, I
was just
thinking I was going to pull the stunt off. Except for the
embarrassment,
all was OK.

Yesterday, and at this point, I am thinking the engine had gotten
hot enough
that fuel was boiling in the carb.

Today, to try to reproduce the problem, I tied the tail down and
ran the
engine until the oil temp was 190 F, the previous day's takeoff oil
temp.
This was when I noticed what may the real problem. After shutting
down, when
I tried to move the prop, it moved with a lot of friction. I
quickly removed
the cowl and the sparkplugs to take away the
compression "resistance" and
found the engine was still hard to turn. Not knowing what to do I
figured
lunch was in order. When I got back from lunch, and the engine had
cooled
and it turned as light as I had known it before.

Any ideas of what might cause this "hot" friction? In any case I
bet an
engine teardown is in my future.

Kevin