Re: N275CH First Flight Q200

Jim Patillo

Thanks Mike,

Kevin, I knew someone had the fuel flow info and Mike Dwyer is right
about checking the fuel system for leaks. A blown up baloon on the
vent tube works well to detect leaks.

Jim P

--- In Q-LIST@..., Mike Perry <dmperry1012@c...> wrote:
Jim: The fuel flow requirement for gravity feed systems is 150%
greater
than "Takeoff fuel consumption of the engine." (FAR 23.995) (my
source is
old, may be renumbered, but I doubt the requirement changed)

Kevin: I suggest you get Tony Bingelis' Book, "Firewall Forward"
and read
the section on fuel systems, esp. the chapter "Fuel Flow Test."
Tony talks
about why you need to do the test in the max climb attitude, as
well as
describing details of how to do the test.

The fuel pressure in all Q2/Q200s is pretty low -- with the header
tank
fuel low the pressure may be less than 0.5 psi. Any restriction to
flow
will be more dramatic with low pressure.

Peter Harris and others have commented on the effects of pressure
changes
in the tank, due to fuel vent, fuel cap or other problems.

Mike Perry

At 04:55 PM 4/18/2005 +0000, Kevin and Jim Patillo wrote:

[snip]

Flow check header tank in flight position: Not in flight position
but it did flow like a racehorse with the tail on the ground. (I
rechecked this as soon as I got it back to the hangar.)

Actual flow I don't know.************There is a minimum FAA
requirement. Bob F correct me if I'm wrong but I think its 15%
greater than the fuel burn for the engine at full power. ie, 9.5 x
15% or 10.9 per hour (gravity flow with fuel pump off). The facet
pump should deliver about 30 gph to the carburator. This is
typically checked with the tail off, fuselage on the mains and rear
on the floor. You might want to do this check prior to another
flight.