From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Mike Dwyer
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 5:57 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: [Q-LIST] Piston ring compressor & Oil pressure 0-200A

Hey guys,
I've had my Cont 0-200A engine apart due to the no oil pressure problem
I reported a few weeks ago.
After nearly 1000 hours it is clean inside. I found one spot of surface
rust on the crank near the front bearing. I use Shell 100W and change
at 30 hours so this seems to be working. The bearings look worn but
nothing real bad about them.

I was reading the overhaul manual and it recommends to lap in the oil
pressure regulator. Great idea. Did that yesterday with some
automotive valve laping compound and the seat looks way better. Forget
doing this when the accessory case is on the engine. There is no decent
way to clean out the laping compound. I filled the cavity above the
oil pressure regulator with mineral spirits and it doesn't leak, I
learned this trick from Don George in Orlando who is a great engine guy
if anyone needs work done. I had a exhaust valve leak in one cyl and
called Zephyr Hills Aircraft Engine, they didn't even bother to return
my call. Don George said, "hey bring it over and maybe I can do it
while you wait" which he did. I was most impressed and learned a lot
about cylinders. http://www.dongeorgeaircraft.com/

I measured the crank and found I have a standard crank. That's good as
I could have it turned down 10 thousandths but it looked great so I
didn't do anything to it. After putting in the new $200 bearings and
torquing down the rod bolts I find the rods have less slop than they
did. Hard to explain but the rods shouldn't have much angular play in
relation to the crank. They slide forward and backward ok, but with the
old bearings you could change the angle from the rod to the crank. I
think I have an idea how this came about. I've pulled the cylinders off
several times over the life of the engine and the piston pin is
generally pretty hard to get out. Usually I ended up taping the pin
with a wood dowel and light hammer taps. I think this helped to crush
the soft bearing surfaces due to the side force on the rod bearings. I
think I'll make a piston pin remover for next time.

At Sun N Fun I searched for a piston ring compressor. No one had one.
Couldn't believe it. Figured I'd just borrow one from a friend but I
really wanted my own. Yesterday my friend was test flying a pilotless
drone airplane for Velocity (guess they want a real person to fly off
the 40 hours) and long story ... he was not around for me to beg from.
I thought about using a curved piece of thin aluminum with a 4" hose
clamp. It worked great, better than the professional one I had borrowed
before. So for $1 I got myself a nice ring compressor.

Don George says you gota take the valve bodies out and drain them in
order to check the valve clearances. He also says that 30-110 tho is
the limit and if you go over 110 then the exhaust valve tends to burn
like mine did. I drained my lifter bodies so we'll see how this works.

The engine is going back together but I'm leaving off the vacume pump
drive on the lower front of the engine. I threw it up in the air and it
came down hard which tells me that it is heavy and not used so by by. I
read that the gears fling oil out the breather also and a Erocoup
builder group recommends removing it. Hey, that's a factory plane, how
can they do that!

I still plan to make the breather tube extender mod to reduce blown out
oil. Also have some 431 Stainless tube and 437 filler rod to make me
some nice 4 into 4 exhaust pipes. My factory supplied steel 4:1 exhaust
is looking pretty ragged and I hate having to take the whole thing off
each time I work on a cylinder...

Still got a couple of weeks of work before flying... But the weather
here in FL kinds of stinks right now anyway. Sun N Fun weekend was
beautiful except for the generally 15K direct crosswind on the landing
runway. One note about Sun N Fun. They are now charging $30 a head or
$25 if EAA. 10 years ago it was $15 and your wife got in for free.
They now have 1/2 the number of Experimentals and Antiques fling in. I
think it sucks that they charge people that drive in the same price as
the people that show their planes. Each year they raise the price on
the commercial vendors but have less traffic. I 'd like to know where
the money goes cause they aren't spending it on cleaning the porta
potties!

Mike Q200 N3QP - Status - in pieces

_____