Re: quickies at Oshkosh

Letempt, Jeffrey MR <jeffrey.letempt@...>

The Dragonfly rights were sold last year and the new owners are getting
ready to offer quick build kits "soon". The Dragonfly is a plans built
aircraft with the option of buying some pre-fab components or an complete
kit (soon). Plans are available for purchase today. The Dragonfly design
owners have a web site at www.dart-industries.com There are some errors on
their web site, they even show a couple pictures of Dave Dugas's, Ernest
Martin's, and Jim Patillo's Q's.....but they are trying.

I would say there is considerably more support available for the Dragonfly
than the Q2 family of aircraft. It is not practicable (possible?) for
anyone to build a Q2 from plans. There is a company who claims ownership of
the Dragonfly design and are wanting to make a go of it. With a set of
Dragonfly plans and support from the Dragonfly email list and Dragonfly
Builders and Flyers Newsletter you can scratch build a Dragonfly today from
plans. If the company goes out of business tomorrow you can still build
that same Dragonfly from those plans. The plans are not the most detailed
in the world, but an average builder with average skills can (has been done
hundreds of times) build a Dragonfly with the information provided.

The Dragonfly owners are planning on updating the plans. Dragonfly's have
been scratch built in less than 2 years (I would not say that is typical by
any means). My Dragonfly kit was built in about 20 months (not by me).
There are several "low cost" airplanes out there. I considered a wide
variety of airplanes before I bought my Dragonfly project. I thought it was
very hard to beat the bang for the buck and the safety of the Dragonfly.

I am not saying anything bad about the Q family of aircraft at all, I think
we are one big happy tandem wing family. I hope to see some of you guys at
the Spring Fling in a couple weeks.

Jeff