From: britmcman@a...
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:42:58 EDT
Subject: [Q-LIST] Previous Spar Damage

Hello All:

If the plane owned by James Postma that suffered the broken spar
happened to
be that plane built by Mr. Follmer, then we might have a suspect
cause for a
pre-existing condition.

You can find an interesting report at

_http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X21774&key=1_
(http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X21774&key=1)

that states the following:

"NTSB Identification: LAX00LA301 .
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). 14
CFR Part 91:
General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, August 15, 2000 in CORONA, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 6/25/2003
Aircraft: FOLLMER Q200, registration: N8427
Injuries: 1 Minor.
The amateur-built airplane collided with ground obstructions during
a forced
landing on an interstate highway following the in-flight separation
of a
portion of one propeller blade. An FAA airworthiness inspector
examined the
airplane and interviewed the pilot. The pilot reported that the
airplane was in

cruise flight when it suddenly began to shake violently. The pilot
believed he
had lost part of the wooden propeller and turned to return to the
departure
airport. The shaking through the airframe became intense and the
pilot was
unsure of the continued integrity of the airframe. He decided to
land on a
major
interstate highway beneath the airplane. During the landing
rollout, the
airplane was quickly catching up to automobiles on the road ahead
and the pilot

intentionally steered the airplane to the right shoulder to avoid
a collision
with the vehicles. The right wing contacted a light pole and slued
the
airplane nose first into another pole. The second collision with
the pole
shattered the propeller into small splinters. The airplane
continued down an
embankment and collided with additional brush. The FAA inspector
searched the
area
and was able to identify one propeller blade tip in the propeller
fragments
scattered over the site. The second tip could not be located.
According to the
pilot, the aircraft owner built the airplane prior to 1990 and
obtained an
initial airworthiness and registration certificate, then placed
the airplane
into storage. The airplane did not fly from 1990 until weeks
before the
accident. The pilot was in the process of flying the initial 40
operating hours
for
an unrestricted experimental airworthiness certificate and had
flown the
airplane about 11 hours.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of
this accident as follows:
The failure and separation of one wooden propeller blade for
undetermined
reasons. "

Respectfully,

Phil Lankford
N870BM

(http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?
ev_id=20001212X21774&ntsbno=LAX00LA301&akey=1)