Extra fuel vent vs another pump

Jim Patillo

Fellas,

Actually after thinking about it further, the stock fuel vent setup I
have works perfectly with the 3/16"? vent tube located about 1/2"
down into the 5/8" return tube to the main. The advantage of filling
from the top (mine is different than stock, 5 gallon header tank is
on pax side only) into the header allows me to fill the main and
header at the same time, stopping when both are level with the 2 1/2"
fill tube to the main which is about 1 1/2" from top of fuselage(can
fill plane very quickly). This keeps the vent clear at all times.
After taxi out, fuel is even lower.

The problem that caused my engine failure was due to pumping from the
aux into an already full main and header. Like overfilling a bucket
it had to go somewhere and the path of least resistance was through
the vent.
The answer for me is DO NOT TURN ON THE AUX SWITCH PRIOR TO FLIGHT.
Just like, do not turn off the master/ignition prior to flight. It is
on my check list now!

I'll keep what I have. But if you are newly building or rebuilding
with a stock header take heed!

Regards,