Re: Spar question ( core)

Jim Patillo

Larry,

How far in board? Because when I cut into my spar at about BL 14 for
the spar repair a few years ago there was no foam at that point. I
do recall foam at the ends of mine when installed new.

However, when Sam Kittle purchased his spars I don't think his had
any foam at all. They may not have been factory issue though. Sam
You may want to chime in here and explain what you did.

Jim P.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Larry Hamm <LDHAMM@X...> wrote:
Well, maybe 99% correct. My spars have foam inboard, then empty
all the
way to the tips.
Larry Hamm

Jim Patillo wrote:
Damian,

You are 100% correct!

Jim P.
--- In Q-LIST@..., damiantwinsport@a... wrote:

Mike, I have never seen a virgin QAC carbon LS1 spar only
remnants

in broken canards. I beleive that from my observation of such
and
from Peter Harris's info that the QAC supplied carbon spars had
foam
either bonded or poured into each end to facilitate the rounding
at
the mid joint and at the pant( plans indicate this as
well) .From my
examination of post crash spars this foam core did not extend
from BL
0 to BL 10 as there was no evidence at that broken part. The
spars
that Peter Harris and associates are producing claim and from
the
spars I have that are - 20" have foam at least to that point
although
I have yet to excavate and see how far it extends past BL20. A
foamcore in a structural round spar would indeed stiffen the
structure depending of course upon the modulus or in other words
the
resistance to crush that foam had.

So in a nutshell the QAC spars for LS1s appear to only have a
smalll length of core at either end but not the full length.

Regards,
Damian Gregory N8427 Q200