Re: Testing

Jim Patillo

Paul Buckley wrote:
Hey, less of the 'old!'

************OK Distinguished!

Yes, of course I know the answer, that's why I asked the
question......with tongue in cheek, I might add.

'Accidents just don't happen, they are the result of a sequence of
events' is something that I always impressed upon my colleagues,
but, unfortunately, sometimes they ARE catastrophic.

*********** Agreed and so noted!

However, I am sure that you used the term 'test' out of context as
you would have done all your testing on the ground......wouldn't you?

***********Yes on the ground! As previously stated, I've never seen
more than 2.75 G's on my airframe. As you and many other veteran Q
pilots know, a Q sees more canard loading on the ground at gross
weight than it ever sees in the air, and we did taxi/bounce it
around loaded alot. I started flight testing at very low weights
with mininal induced loading and increased til I reached "my gross"
which is what we did in the original test period. I think grossing
this airplane and drop testing or failure testing the canard can
create more problems than benefit gained. So it passes that test,
what happens to the structure? Does it fail something that is not
noticable until the first flight or test phase?

I am equally sure that after 400 flying hours, including
steep 'Patillo' pull ups (not tests, of course!) that you have a
good repair.

**********Let's qualify steep pull ups, turns and rolls since that's
kind of subjective. I don't "yank and bank" I don't make "carrier
landings". I don't "twist it up". My steep pull ups are smooth and I
keep an eye on it. Rolls are coordinated with no loading on the
bottom side. Steep turns area coordinated with minimal loading.

Just be aware that composite structures, unlike metal or wood, do
not yield before they break and therefore give little, if any, signs
of stress before the event, which is why composite designers build
in so much safety factor...............one hopes!

********Look at the Q record! In thousands of flying hours I only
know of one airplane that had the main wing depart and it was
because of a fuel tank installed above the main wing that failed. AS
you point he had no advanced notice.

May you enjoy your cherries for a long time, and you never know, I
may get to share a few of them with you sometime.

********* Paul like you I read these post all the time where lots of
guys have ground looped repeatedly, run off the runway, broken off
props, tail springs, wheel pants, cowls, and on and on. What do you
think that is doing to the strucure? Fortunately I've never done any
of that. I don't think I am an exceptional pilot but I do pay
attention.

Regards

Paul Buckley
TriQ-200
Cheshire, England.

Paul,

Why are you asking such an rudimentary question being such an old
time experienced dude that you are? You know the answer.

You ever been to Reno or Lake Tahoe? I get cherries!

When I flew for United Airlines I once had an old check pilot that
said accidents don't just happen they sequence, build up and happen.
Rarely catastrophic. If something is taken out of the equation, no
accident. He said that flying planes was like going to Reno. When
you play the slot machines and get cherries. YOU GET CHERRIES! No
matter how old, how young, how smart, how experienced. I'm not
cavelier, just a realist. This wing thing may of the second kind -
possibly catastrophic.

I've never gotten more than 2.5 - 2.75 Gs on my wings either
direction (g meter installed). Except for initial testing. The
canard actually get more loading on the ground. I believe the
canard repair Bob Farnam and I came up with fixed the problem. I've
goten about 400 hours on it since the repair and everything still
looks fine. Further I'm always checking my canard and main wing for
any signs of fatigue, delam or stress. If I felt what I was doing
was unsafe or overstressing my airframe I wouldn't be doing it.
Having said that I fly the way I fly. Hope it continues to work or
we'll be discussing it on the other side.

What would you suggestI do? Keep it straight and level for the rest
of it flying days? Sell it? Become afraid of it? Put a new wing on?

I'm not being smart but I don't think those are good options.

Regards,

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200 LVK - More flying Q200's than anywhere else
in the world"