Re: Older Rotax 503

David J. Gall

Ron,

Some follow-up: Norm Howell set an FAI record as follows (taken from the FAI
website):

Sub-class : C-1a/0 (Landplanes: take off weight less than 300 kg)
Group 3 : turbo-jet
Speed over a recognised course : 233.54 km/h

Date of flight: 27/07/1988
Pilot: Norman E. HOWELL (USA)
Course/place: Enid, OK (USA)

Aircraft:
Quickie (1 Rotax 503 Dual Carb, 52 hp)
Registered 'N17UQ'

Database ID 1107

Note that FAI incorrectly listed the Rotax 503 DC as a "turbo-jet"!!! The
speed of 233.54 km/hr works out to 145.115mph.

That record was set in 1988. In the Jan/Feb 1990 Q-Talk (pg. 8), Norm talks
about his engine and gearbox. He says he recommeds the 2.238:1 ratio. He
says he's using a 2.00:1 and does not recommend it.

With the 2.00:1, he ran a Prince 2 blade 46D x 53P prop, and that it's "like
third gear on a Porsche... you go like a bat out of hell, but you are slow
off the line. I still don't know how fast mine will go since airframe
redline occurs before engine redline and it's still accelerating."(!)

He talks about the marginal takeoff and climb performance, then recommeds
the 2.238:1, indicating 1200 fpm climbs at 75mph. He says he'll report on
the performance differences when he finishes changing over to the 2.238:1. I
haven't had time to look up the follow-up report.

FYI, Howell held four of the five records ever set in a Quickie. All have
been surpassed. He also held one record in a Long-EZ, and is the current
holder of seven records set in a Boeing C-17 Globemaster.

David J. Gall