Re: Engines - Long read editorial

Jim Patillo

Hello my friend! I hope you and your lovely wife had a safe trip home
from the big "O". Thanks for the phone call from the flight line, you
son of a gun! Speaking of son of a guns, hows your old man doing? I
trust he and mom are doing fine.

Dave, the reason I've never considered the 60-80 HP Revemaster a
viable option for me is that we live where the hills are LARGE, not
like those garbage dumps they turm into "mountains and ski areas"
back where your're from. Jus kiddin'

We see severe high densities up in the Tahoe/Reno area and surounding
foothills. I want all the power I can get.

Regards,
Jim P.

--- In Q-LIST@..., Dave Dugas <davedq2@y...> wrote:
Jim,
Thanks for mentioning the Revmaster!!
Dave Dugas

Jim Patillo <logistics_engineering@m...> wrote:

Fella's,

I hope you take this message the way its intended cause I realize
we
are all experimental in this business.

I don't know much but alls' I know is; "anyone who willingly puts
his or his family/friends butts on the line to fly with any engine
except one that is approved for airplane flight with a gazillion
hours of proven performance may or could be considered nuts". What
am I missing here? Many have gone before you and with their lives
proven what works and what doesn't. Why tempt fate anymore than
you
have to? At best anything you install on one of these planes is in
failure mode the second it is installed. If you fly it long enough,
it will fail. Why provoke the evil gremlins of flight.

New guys seriously consider sticking with proven engines. Trust me,
you will have way to many other things happening during your first
flights to throw a failed engine into the frey.

The 0200 may be old and expensive but you can damn near decapitate
it and it still works. If its got gas, air and spark it will run.

A couple of years ago I had a seal fail on one of the push rod
tubes
and ran the engine out of oil quickly about 40 miles from my
airport. I started to make a forced landing in the central valley
of
California but with minimal RPM and oil pressure limped back to
LVK.
When I pulled off the runway, the engine quit. I thought for sure
it was fried. After cutting the filter apart and finding no metal,
changed the 15W-50 oil and filter still expecting the worst. I
started the engine but to my suprise it worked as if nothing had
happened. I did a compression check and all cylinders were fine. It
now has several hundred hours since the failure and still going
strong. Look at the history of the Q200. The engine that has worked
sucessfully over the years is the 0200.

The Jabiru 3300 appears to be a good option for this bird but
there's little docummented performance or longevity numbers to back
it up at this point. Time will tell.

You can spend 8-12K for a pumped up modernized 0200 or 11-12K for
the new Jabiru 6. Which one is for you? The other options may be
cheaper but how much is your life worth?

Regards,
Jim Patillo N46JP Q200 - Technical ground & asphalt advisor
LVK-"More flying Q200's than any place on earth".

Aviation maintenance Aviation maintenance training Aviation
maintenance schools Aviation maintenance schools Aviation Aviation
art

Service.