Re: Alan Thayer's Graphlite Q1 Canard Spar

Leon - C <leon@...>

----- Original Message -----
From: "David J. Gall" <David@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 10:21 AM
Subject: [Q-LIST] Alan Thayer's Graphlite Q1 Canard Spar

Leon,

Let me propose a modification to Alan Thayer's spar trough that would make
building the canard with the Graphlite spar a little easier. Instead of
trying to cut the foam core in one pass from one set of templates which
results in the spar trough not being the correct width from root to tip, I
suggest doing a second cut for the spar trough only which would allow for
the different taper ratio of the spar vice the taper ratio of the canard
itself. Food for thought...?
David J. Gall
I hadn't yet noticed that his spar trough was of constant width. Cutting
the cores minus the trough and then sanding the templates for the tapered
trough for a second cut would make for a neater job. Bedding the Graphlite
rods even with a tapered trough take quite a bit more flox than you might
think, which adds weight. I had the thought at one time that it might be a
better idea to switch to the rectangular cross section rods but after a bit
of further thought have come to the conclusion that the bond to the round
rods is probably superior due to the ratio of surface area/volume.

When I get around to his templates I'll add lines for the tapered trough.
I'd really like to get back to work on my own Quickie, but between the
doctors and recalcitrant insurance companies it will be several months
before I have the money and both hands to get anything significant
accomplished.
Leon McAtee
In need of a good Quickie building fix...........Mainlined if possible