Re: Elevator and Aileron Bushings

Jim Patillo

Steve,

I too have done a little research in this area. Rulon makes many
types of bearing materials for industrial, medical and food
equipment applications.

Rulon "LR" is maroon in color and "J" is dull gold. I used LR for
the inboard bearings and J for the outer bearings. I'm doing this to
compare the two materials for wear and tear and longest life. Both
have a 0% water absorbtion rate in 24 hours and excellent
heating/cooling qualities. LR has been around for a long time and
typically used as a bearing material. J is also used as a bearing
material and is suppose to work better with mild steel.

I will be happy to work with Doug and publish a report when I get a
little time on the bearings and can make a definitive statement.

In the meantime, there are many suppliers of this stuff but most
have minimum orders or are higher priced than the vendor I
suggested.

Farnam and I disagree on what is acceptable and what is not
regarding looseness but I think this is an area on the Q that needs
improvement. I don't want any vibration in my control surfaces and
the fact that the fixed steel surfaces are wearing is not good.

My airplane now has very smooth control surfaces with no measurable
deflection at the bearings.

Regards,

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200

P.S. The Lightspeed 30 3G's work great and being able to talk on the
phone with no background noise is nice. They are an improvement over
the 25XL's.

--- In Q-LIST@..., "steve" <sham@i...> wrote:

Thanks Bob, I have noticed they have several grades of Rulon. I
believe the maroon color material is bearing grade. I'll check into
this.
Thanks, Steve Ham