From: French <LJFrench@...>
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Fuel Vent Line
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:04:17 -0500

Remember, what really matters - even with a float bowl carburator - is the
difference in pressure between the carb bowl and the tank pressure. After
all, all the vent pressure in the world coming from ram air will not do any
good if the float bowl is seeing the same pressure. Same goes for the head
pressure of the fuel supply above the carb. A header tank 10 feet above the
carb doesn't help if the float bowl pressure overcomes the added head
pressure. If you measure 100 GPH fuel flow from your fuel system on the
ground at the carb, it doesn't mean in any way that you have a system
capable of delivering any where near that amount of fuel flow in flight.

Anybody know what pressure is in the float bowl under various flight
conditions (a clue is in the mixure control...anybody need the MA-3SPA
handbook)???

Anybody know what pressure is being provided by the ram air vent under
various flight conditions??

Woudn't it be awsome if there was some enhancement to the vent system of the
plans Q200 that would avoid fuel starvation if you accidently flooded the
vent system by overflowing the main tank from the auxillary tank, or if the
gas cap accidently got a crack in it that didn't get detected, or any of the
many other "accidents" that have happened with our systems. Now that would
really be cool.......a root cause fix.

Lynn French