From: "Bob Farnam" <bfarnam@pacbell.net>
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Re: Fuel Vent Line
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:01:00 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
David Gall
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 7:15 PM
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com

Good points, Lynn

Fuel weighs 6 lbs. per gallon. One gallon holds 231 cubic inches. If we
stack all those cubic inches atop one another, we get all 231 cubic inches
pressing down on one square inch of surface area at the bottom of the
container. Therefore, there is 6 lbs per square inch of fuel pressure at the
bottom of a column of fuel 231 inches tall. Dividing 6 lbs by 231 inches
yields a usable value of head pressure of 0.026 lbs per inch of height. So
if your header tank bottom (figuring a nearly empty tank) is 20 inches above
the carb needle valve, then the fuel pressure at the carb is .52 psi or
about ONE inch of mercury. Not a lot, and easily overcome by misguided ram
air pressure. At 60 mph the dynamic air pressure is about 9 psi or about 18
inches of mercury.

[Bob Farnam] Actually, at 60 mph the dynamic pressure of air at standard
conditions is about 1.5 inches of water. At typical Q200 cruise speed, it's
about 10 inches of water.