Re: Fuel Vent Line

David J. Gall

Ya know, Bob, I thought about that too. Here's the way I see it: the lowest
pressure the carb can pull on the fuel line will be at high rpm with the
throttle closed. The highest ram pressure will be at max airspeed. Dive with
the throttle closed to purge the vent line. Not a good plan.

So there you are on climbout and the engine sags due to fuel starvation. The
rpm drops off, you push the throttle open, and the airspeed decays. What
good will it do to know that you would be able to clear the vent line at Vne
in a power-off dive if the powerlines ahead and every nerve fiber in your
body are screaming that you'd better add power and get the nose up?

I already know that the correct response to a power loss in climb is to push
the nose down to retain flying speed and that is already contrary to my
instincts. Please don't make me learn to hope for power restoration by
diving at the ground and chopping the throttle, too! I don't care if the
theory says there "ought to be" some combination of airspeed and throttle
setting (closed!!?) and rpm that will clear that slug of splashed fuel from
the vent line, I won't have time to diagnose that THAT particular problem
is, indeed, THE problem.

I would much prefer a fool-proof system that works in an intuitive way that
I can count on time and again to be reliable, predictable, and repeatable.
("Gee, would zero-gee help the ram pressure to purge the vent line," Robin
queried Batman as the Bat-plane plummeted perilously earthward.) If my fuel
tank vent line does NOT require me to perform acrobatics in order to restore
proper engine operation then I'm more likely to have time to apply carb heat
and squeeze the manual fuel pump bulb -- oh, yeah, we took that out of the
system last month, didn't we.... :)

Not to make too much light of the situation, your Pacer wing tank collapse
was caused by gravity feed PLUS pressure differential, working together, and
there's a good bit of head pressure from a Pacer's high wings to the
low-mounted carb. And there are other factors to consider. Even if the fuel
flow from that tank to the engine were shut off, simple contraction of the
fuel with decreasing temperature could have collapsed that tank. Top off an
already almost full tank in the morning, leave it setting in the sun all
day, then the mud dauber builds his nest in the fuel vent in the
afternoon... And you may never even have needed to start the engine!

As opposed to your Pacer's gravity feed PLUS pressure differential, purging
a slug of fuel from the QAC fuel tank vent requires determining the
difference between the action of gravity and the pressure differential,
working against each other, in other words, gravity MINUS pressure
differential.

In fact, the "gravity" portion of the equation might just be zero, or even a
little bit negative, if the slug of fuel in the vent line is taller than the
height of the fuel level in the header tank is above the carb inlet. So we'd
be left with just the pressure differential to move fuel through several
feet of small diameter (0.22") fuel line at approximately six gallons per
hour, or 0.85 ft/sec. Given that ram pressure at 60 mph is 1.5 inches of
water, and assuming that the carb is in the high pressure ram recovery
region of the cowl, the pressure difference available to drive the fuel flow
in climb might be quite small indeed. Certainly not equivalent to the head
pressure of approximately 14 inches of fuel (10 inches of water) that the
header tank normally gives....

I think you get my point by now. Thanks for helping me to have to think
through this problem. Now I know that there's another thing I want to do
differently on my airplane than what the plans call for.... :)

David J. Gall