From: Q-LIST@... [mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Allan Farr
Sent: Wednesday, 6 September 2006 6:14 PM
To: Q-LIST@...
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Re: Crashed Tri-Q

Wow - a happy outcome, the best sort. I have also taken off inadvertently,
apparently it happens alot that's why it is even warned against in the Q
POH. My unintentional takeoff happened in 1975 when I was fast taxing a
Taylor Monoplane (taildragger), I had about 25hrs in a C152 at the time. On
my 4th high speed run I looked out the side and discovered to my horror that
I was airborne. I immediately closed the throttle, but at the same time I
realized that the end of the runway (grass) was coming up, so I shoved the
power on again. As I flew downwind, I thought I would probably crash, so I
tried to hold the stick with my knees while I put on the seatbelt (always be
prepared for flight when taxiing). I did a fairly erratic circuit, and ended
up making a heavy landing right in front of another a/c holding at the end
of the runway. My plane did 1 big bounce and then stopped - all the forward
energy absorbed by the bounce. Luckily there was no harm done to me or the
plane but I did have to explain myself to the rather furious CFI who had
seen the whole thing. Also a friend who had seen me takeoff and almost
stall/spin when I momentarily closed the throttle, jumped in a C172 and did
an "ag style" takeoff, right across the aerodrome, he was thinking he may be
needed to help get me back down in one piece. He also ended up "on the mat"
in front of the CFI. Great fun those early flying days, but I don't intend
to repeat that sort of incident once I start fast taxiing my Q.
Allan F
Q2 Rev

From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups. <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com> com