Air Flow at canard - fuselage intersection LS1

Jim Patillo

All,

A few weeks ago Mark Summers from Livermore (Q200 with GU canard) did
an oil flow test and found the canard - fuselage intersection on his
plane to be real draggy. The flow lines were all over the place. He
installed a vortex generator on the GU (at the 40% of cord area) about
1 1/2" from the fuselage and about 3" of dimpled tape up the side of
the fuselage on both sides. He claims about a 4 mph increase in speed
as a result. He repeated the flow test and found the area cleaned up
significantly and the air was now staying attached.

For a long time now we have been told by people like John Ronz that
this area was suspect. Many of us thought of reworking the area for
drag reduction.

As one always looking for speed I did the oil flow test on my Q200
-LS1 canard this weekend and found a totally different situation. The
air flow in that area of my plane stays attached. Take a look in the
photos section to the left titled Jim Patillo. AS soon as I landed I
looked at the flow and the lines were straight. (Note these pictures
were taken about 10 minutes after landng and were starting to droop
because fo gravity).. It appears the LS1 also cleaned up that area
for air flow. The only thing I noticed was that at the sparrow
strainer, the flow was not attached fully in that area. Don't know if
that is significant or not. Any opinions?

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200