From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Jim Patillo
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:28 PM
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Q-LIST] Air Flow at canard - fuselage intersection LS1

All,

A few weeks ago Mark Summers from Livermore (Q200 with GU
canard) did an oil flow test and found the canard - fuselage
intersection on his plane to be real draggy. The flow lines
were all over the place. He installed a vortex generator on
the GU (at the 40% of cord area) about
1 1/2" from the fuselage and about 3" of dimpled tape up the
side of the fuselage on both sides. He claims about a 4 mph
increase in speed as a result. He repeated the flow test and
found the area cleaned up significantly and the air was now
staying attached.

For a long time now we have been told by people like John
Ronz that this area was suspect. Many of us thought of
reworking the area for drag reduction.

As one always looking for speed I did the oil flow test on my Q200
-LS1 canard this weekend and found a totally different
situation. The air flow in that area of my plane stays
attached. Take a look in the photos section to the left
titled Jim Patillo. AS soon as I landed I looked at the flow
and the lines were straight. (Note these pictures were taken
about 10 minutes after landng and were starting to droop
because fo gravity).. It appears the LS1 also cleaned up
that area for air flow. The only thing I noticed was that at
the sparrow strainer, the flow was not attached fully in that
area. Don't know if that is significant or not. Any opinions?

Jim Patillo N46JP Q200