Re: Air Flow at canard - fuselage intersection LS1

Dave Richardson <dave@...>

Hi Jim,

I had similar results in some "unscheduled" oil flow tests on my Tri-Q2
with an LS1. The specific point I saw was the arched clean area about
4-5 inches above the canard / fuselage intersection. I always wondered
what the air was doing right in the contour between the canard and
fuselage. Some had suggested that it was compressing the air there
which would cause drag and less of a V shape and more of an L shape
there would help. That is a compound low pressure area from the canard
shape as well as the fuselage shape. In fact, it is low enough to suck
loose oil from inside the cowling (hence my "tests"). You know I think
Burt and co. really had it right on the Quickie by putting the major
cowling exit air out over the canard through those gills. On the Q2/xx
we try to dump the cooling air out into a high pressure area under the
fuselage and we have these two nice low pressure areas. I'm sure there
are other considerations, though. The Eagle 150 uses this area for
their cooling air exit.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the photos.

Dave Richardson

Tri-Q2 825DR 69 hrs.