From: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Dave Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:19 AM
To: Q-LIST@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Re: Air Flow at canard - fuselage
intersection LS1

Hi Jim,

I had similar results in some "unscheduled" oil flow tests on
my Tri-Q2 with an LS1. The specific point I saw was the
arched clean area about
4-5 inches above the canard / fuselage intersection. I
always wondered what the air was doing right in the contour
between the canard and fuselage. Some had suggested that it
was compressing the air there which would cause drag and less
of a V shape and more of an L shape there would help. That
is a compound low pressure area from the canard shape as well
as the fuselage shape. In fact, it is low enough to suck
loose oil from inside the cowling (hence my "tests"). You
know I think Burt and co. really had it right on the Quickie
by putting the major cowling exit air out over the canard
through those gills. On the Q2/xx we try to dump the cooling
air out into a high pressure area under the fuselage and we
have these two nice low pressure areas. I'm sure there are
other considerations, though. The Eagle 150 uses this area
for their cooling air exit.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the photos.

Dave Richardson

Tri-Q2 825DR 69 hrs.