Re: Comittment!

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

Terry:

Sorry you had a bad experience at LVK. On the one hand, you could have had
bad luck, or maybe you weren't feeling 100% yourself (that's usually my
wife's comment about me when I say everyone else seemed quiet or
standoffish). On the other hand - - -

Guys, there is a message here. We can't expect the hosts (at LVK Jim and
Bob) to do everything. Everyone needs to pitch in with the chores, but
also with greeting folks and making them feel comfortable. Even if you
don't have a flying plane yet, you can say something to the person you
don't recognize, help them get oriented and feeling part of the group.

My 2 cents --

Mike Perry

At 02:28 PM 10/4/2006 -0700, you wrote:

Jim,
Since you asked ..........
I attended my first LVK a year ago, drove over on Saturday. One Dragonfly
was there so I stuck my head in to look around and get some pictures. The
owner introduced himself and took the time to answer a few of my
questions. Then I walked to each of the other Qs and took pictures. Not
one Q driver introduced himself/herself. I took some pictures and left as
the call went out for lunch. Yes, I could've stayed for lunch, and yes I
could have been more forward and introduced myself. Maybe if I had brought
my Dragonfly I would have been assimilated into the group.
This year as the date for LVK rolled around, I wasn't even interested in
attending.
Last weekend I attended my first Thorp T18 flyin at Porterville. Eighteen
Thorps flew in, locals plus Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Nevada,
and three from AZ. I knew two people, but nearly everyone introduced
themselves. There was a couple of seminars (short and to the point, legal
stuff, aerobatics, maintenance, mods) and a few info-mercials from guys
building parts. I was impressed. One of the companies supplying T18 parts
is based at PTV and hosts the event. As with the TW group the Thorp group
also has an eastern flyin at Kentucky Dam.

Terry Adams
N41521
N51079