Re: Lay up sched?

Jason Muscat <fifty101fifty@...>

Good to know and thank you for all the info. I will check out your CD (it will be the 5th cd on the q i have purchased now)

>BTW, if you follow the instructions and plans you don't need to know whether
the sweep is 3.5" or 3.79"!>
Every one says this "if you follow the instructions and plans you don't need ...." however, i have heard over a dozen instances of people having to cut off there canard because it didn’t have the correct incidence in it (a tinny 2* diff) or they had to tear there canard apart because it didn’t have the proper sweep in it, or cut of the wing because the incidence stall characteristics poor. Why is every one so reluctant to hard numbers so they can Q&A there work? It is obvious that the plans have holes, and are very hard to fallow. And if one were use them as a means of Q&A, one would have to rejig all his assemblies the way they were originally assembled and then re measure. Ridicules. Just to put it in perspective this .3* diff in spar discrepancy can case a 1.25” shift of the canard tips moving the CG .5” as well as changing the weight distribution on the gear (detrimental if you have the t-dragger design). Doesn’t look like much but if this is the norm (and i am
seeing it is) and there are as little as 3 (normally 5-10) discrepancies like this, the CG (or any other parameter) can change as much as 2-3”. Look at the history of home builds, it is plagued with builders not putting in the correct sweep, incidence, washout, etc and I would pose that its not just from the builders lack of “fallowing the plans,” but it is very hard to Q&A an aircraft during assembly if you have no useful measurements just a pile of foam blanks and some profiles.

Thanx again
Jason

"David J. Gall" <David@Gall.com> wrote: Jason,

You do not have the complete plans. What you have is three pages that start
with the words "Dear Builder." The complete LS(1) plans include this
document, but are also composed of seven more pages of text entitled
"Construction of LS(1)-0417MOD Canard," plus four(?) appendix sheets. The
Quickie (not Q2/200) LS(1) plans are the same, plus another three page
document entitled "Construction of LS(1)-0417MOD Quickie Canard." Note
inclusion of the word "Quickie."

I publish a CD with all of the Q2/200 plans and QAC newsletters, but without
any of the full-size templates (appendix sheets). It is available at
http://QuickieSource.com.

(If I could get my hands on ORIGINALS of the LS(1) appendix sheets for both
the Q200 and the Quickie I'd happily digitize them and return them to their
owner, then publish them in .pdf and .dxf format. I already have all the
other appendix sheets but have not included them on the CD's. Leon McAtee
has done an excellent job of recreating the Quickie appendices and even
correcting some errors along the way, but no one has yet done the same for
the Q2/200.)

No one has the original spar layup schedules for the carbon spars, but Peter
Harris reverse engineered them (with the help of John ten Have) and will
gladly sell you a new set.

BTW, if you follow the instructions and plans you don't need to know whether
the sweep is 3.5" or 3.79"!

David J. Gall