Re: Flight characteristics questions

Peter Harris <peterjfharris@...>

David for what it's worth the subject of pitch spring effect came up a
couple of years ago. I had complained that when the engine quit there is a
scramble to adjust the trim to hold the nose up. The trim spring made the
nose seem VERY heavy at a time when we do not need that kind of a
distraction and my plans adjuster was stiff and hard to reach with the left
hand. I was not going to let go of the stick! . I was surprised to find
that most of the guys let the trim freewheel unlocked. It is not designed
that way due to the mechanical advantage but if the bearing is made loose in
construction it would freewheel like a buzz saw. Anyhow I redesigned my trim
so it is now operated by a throttle cable control near my left hand and very
easy to disengage. It is a real pleasure to use close to the throttle, I
lock it only when stabilized in cruise, and also I lock it fully elevator up
for final approach and flare. (My throttle is done with a mixture adjuster
cable and that is also nice to use, just set and forget)

At the present time I am dealing with a related problem: Although trimmed
max elev up I need forward pressure to hold the nose down and TE up (3/16"
at 170KTS). Aeleron reflex is 3/8"up. Unless I made a mistake the CG is
same as for the Norton but the Norton line of thrust was 17mm higher. Do you
think that the thrust couple would explain the issue? I am planning to flush
the aelerons again.

Peter

_____