Re: Flight characteristics questions

Letempt, Jeffrey MR <jeffrey.letempt@...>

It is interesting to discover differences in the Q and Dragonfly as these
discussions come up. The Dragonfly's rudder is very effective, in fact the
rudder is way more effective than the ailerons in rolling my Dragonfly....of
course the Dragonfly probably has twice the rudder area. As the airspeed
builds in the Dragonfly the aileron controls forces get very heavy, this is
a problem that the Q does not seem to have. Lots of Dragonfly's have
aileron servo tabs to reduce the aileron stick pressure.

Like Jim's experience, my Dragonfly is more pitch sensitive with an aft CG.
I have adjustable sparrow strainers on my Dragonfly (GU canard) and a simple
2 spring elevator trim system. If I run out of up elevator trim I need to
put more AOA in the sparrow strainers. The faster the airspeed the more the
elevator wants to come up. Using a digital level; with the upper surface of
the elevator at 45 degrees down (not travel, just the static position) the
upper surface of my sparrow strainers are at 38 degrees down. A 2-3 degree
adjustment of the sparrow strainers makes a significant difference, in fact
I have been able to correct for a slight roll tendency with one sparrow
strainer that is set ever so slightly different that the other one.

This sparrow strainer setting works for my current cruise airspeed of about
140 MPH. My elevator trim system does not have a wide adjustment range and
I have found that the 5-7 MPH airspeed difference with my wheel pants
requires a sparrow strainer adjustment. I can adjust for hands-off with the
reflexor if I run out of elevator trim, but the elevator will not be in
trail. I can either install larger springs, install a different trim system
that has more travel, or make minor sparrow strainer adjustments when I make
aerodynamic adjustments that will effect my cruise airspeed. I will
probably opt for the minor sparrow strainer adjustments, but a trim system
with more range is the right answer (and there are even plans in an old
Dragonfly newsletter)....maybe I am getting lazy.

I know very little of this information could be directly applied to a Q, but
you never know. Obviously you should listen to what the experienced Q guys
have to say. Good luck.

Jeff