Re: the Official Runway Distance thread

Mike Dwyer <mdwyer@...>

Hey Jon,
Did I read that right, you land with full up aileron reflexer? This makes you need more speed to three point it cause the tail will be low I believe.... An experiment you could try would be to get a level in your plane that reads 0 degrees pitch on the ground (your landing attitude). Go up a few thousand feet. Set the reflexer to neutral and see what speed you get when the level is 0. Then set the reflexer up and see what speed it takes to get a 0 degrees. I bet the speed is much higher with the reflexer up. Also, maybe your doing high sink rate landings. I find that if I'm sinking fast then I can run out of elevator in the flare so I use a little power to stop the sink rate. Try using some power and keep the sink rate down, then chop the power over the numbers.

Another way to think of this is the reflexer reduces the lift on the rear wing so you've got to go forward on the elevator to maintain a balance. You've reduced lift overall so the stall speed has to be higher. Just my opinion...

Here's my numbers N3QP

1. Q200 Taildragger - Cont 0-200 unmodified
2. Marge Warnkee 2 blade 58 Dia 64 pitch?
3. Reflexor - NO belly board. Always shoot for a three-point touchdown attitude on base/final (ailerons reflexed neutral). Use the reflexer full up to cruise faster (4mph) and to kill lift just after touchdown.
4. Typically <1100 lbs
5. Dry, asphalt/concrete
6. Aft
7. 85MPH indicated single place, 90 mph indicated two place over the numbers. Sea level 59F takeoff single place 700', best landing 1600' Two place with full full and baggage I'm happy with 3000' to land. Narrowest runway I've ever landed on 60'. Chicken factor 10, I want to be an old pilot...

Jon Finley wrote:

1. Q2(GU-Taildragger) - Subaru EJ-22
2. Warp Drive 3 blade (about 13 degrees)
3. Reflexor - NO belly board - No numbers on the Reflexor but always shoot
for a three-point touchdown attitude on base/final (which is ailerons
reflexed UP (tail down))
4. Typically 1050-1100 lbs - Occasionally more
5. Dry, asphalt/concrete
6. Aft
7. Below...

My home airport is now E98 which has a 4340' x 37' runway at 4830' MSL. I
prefer to think of it as a 4350' x 40'.... ;-) Most of my flying here has
been at 7000-8000' density altitudes. I've got some things to test to see
if I screwed up my airplane (during the move here) but currently, I have to
be at 100mph all the way to touchdown or I am out of elevator. That speed
plus focus on keeping it on the runway result in using the WHOLE runway.
Takeoff only requires about 2500' (a guess).

Previous home base (FCM) had 3900x75 at 900' MSL. Same setup, DA of around
1500-2000'. Had to be over the numbers at 90 mph and generally touched down
around 85 mph. Typically used about 1500' on TO. Landings required about
2500'. If anything was amiss, I could chew up the whole length without a
second thought.

I NEVER do ANYTHING but fly the airplane until I am stopped (as in not
moving at all).

Jon Finley
N90MG - Q2 - Subaru EJ-22 Legacy
http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru
Mid-Valley Airpark, Los Lunas, NM

P.S. I tried to land on a 2500' runway a couple of times in MN (no wind) and
could never get myself to commit as the end of the runway always appeared to
approaching must too fast.