Re: "Exponential" differential via mechanics

David J. Gall

Ron,

I think the ability to adjust camber and toe as you have done is nice, but
overkill. The only real requirement is that the worst-case scenario -- max
weight, forward CG, steeply crowned runway -- be met with positive camber
and toe. Even slightly negative camber has proved to be manageable, but
more-positive camber and toe is not an issue. If you get zero-zero at max
gross weight, there's nothing wrong with three degrees positive camber at
lighter weight. (The inverse is not true, however.) The tire serviceabilty
that your change provides is definitely convenient, but at what weight
penalty? And how often - really - do you expect that you'll actually adjust
your camber for any particular flight once the airplane is in daily service?
I'm sure you know the term "drill on assembly."

Regarding a larger rudder, no need, but "no harm-no foul" if you do it. Just
keep in mind that putting on a larger rudder is not addressing the problem
of an ineffective tailwheel. You can choose to make the tailwheel effective
or not and still overpower it with a bigger rudder. If you're gonna make a
bigger rudder, you might as well just get a locking tailwheel and be done
with all the complexities of a steerable one. Line it up, lock the
tailwheel, and go. Lock the tailwheel, land, then unlock and use rudder and
differential brakes to steer the castering thing. No more belcranks and
springs and such, just one cable to pull the lock lever. Better not forget
it on landing, though! :)

JMHO,

David J. Gall