Re: stall indicator - Phil's response

Tri-Q1 <rryan@...>

Does a stall indicator work in gusting conditions for landing?

Ryan

--- In Q-LIST@..., britmcman@... wrote:

In a message dated 10/30/2006 6:23:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dmperry1012@... writes:

I don't really understand why anyone wants
to install an AOA or a stall indicator of any type on a Quickie
or Q-2xx
other than curiosity

I 'll take this one. Mike, I always wanted to know precisely what
was the
best L/D glide angle as a glider aircraft. In the event of
any "engine out"
scenario, one could hypothetically set up on best angle of attack
and thus be
at an optimum condition for flying the farthest distance over the
ground
regardless of weight conditions. I suspect that the best glide
speed may vary
based on how the aircraft is loaded. If the aircraft is loaded
to about 900
pounds the best glide may be some amount faster or slower than if
the aircraft
is loaded to 1350. Regardless of what the aircraft load happens
to be, the
pilot could set upon best angle and have the greatest opportunity
to make a
greater radius to a potential field.

I experienced a broken prop at 9500' MSL (9000 AGL). By the time
I found
nearest airport, it was still about 12 NM out. I wished I had
such a tool.

Cheers,

Phil
N87TQ Tri-Q