From: Mike Perry
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Wednesday, 29 November 2006 14:53
Subject: Re: [Q-LIST] Tail wheels

Allan:

I think what happened is that Jim Hamm, Bob Farnum and Jim Patillo were
looking for a way to install a tailwheel which was steerable over a narrow
range and otherwise full swivel. The available model happened to be
pneumatic.

The pneumatic tire might be more grippy but it is also less sensitive to
cracks, grooves and debris on the runway.

This is my understanding from listening to Jim P and Bob over the last
several years, I hope it's not too inaccurate.

Mike Perry
Not flying and currently not building :-(