handling?" et cetera, et cetera. Hence my interest in the Jim-Bob 6-Pack
AND the Gall Wheel alignment.

Mike Perry

At 10:19 PM 12/31/2006 -0600, Sam wrote:

I think it was Tahlequah, OK and a Stinson.

_____

From: <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>Q-LIST@...
[mailto:Q-LIST@...] On Behalf Of
Mike Perry
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:27 PM
To: <mailto:Q-LIST%40yahoogroups.com>Q-LIST@...
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Flats?

Following up on Sam's post:

The California flyer was Richard Shapley who lives about 45 miles from me;
I've spoken to him and also to other local EAA guys who knew him at the
time. He had about 700 hours on his Q200 at the time of the
accident. Here is my understanding of what happened:

Richard either took off from here with a tire leak or developed one en
route to Oshkosh. He hoped to get to Oshkosh and replace the tube before
coming home. At each stop he would pump up the tire before takeoff and it
would be low on landing.

Crossing the Rockies (New Mexico I think) he flew higher than on the
previous legs. On landing the wheel locked up and he slid off the runway
and destroyed the canard. I'm pretty sure he hit a runway light, not an
airplane; otherwise the story is as Sam stated. The local speculation is
that by flying higher he increased the pressure differential so the tube
leaked more, but it may just have been a slowly worsening problem.

Several lessons here:
-- Don't ignore a known problem with landing gear
-- Flats can be a very serious problem

I think Richard could have saved the plane if he had differential braking
(toe or finger brakes), but he had only the plans single handle
brakes. This is of course pure speculation on my part.

Mike Perry

At 01:05 PM 12/31/2006 -0600, Sam wrote:

A flat on a conventional gear IS a major issue. I spend a lot of time
making sure my wheels and brakes are in good condition.

About 10 year back a venerable Q-200 flyer from California had a flat tire
on the way to Oshkosh. I don't remember it was taking off or landing. He
went off the runway and hit a parked aircraft. He was okay, the plane was
totaled.

Sam Hoskins