Re: Flats?

Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...>

To Larry Severson re Gall wheel alignment:

1) What Dave Gall wrote makes sense to me intellectually

2) What he wrote fits with my experience with Dune Buggies (my mis-spent
youth)

3) What he wrote fits with Mike Dwyer's experience with the Q2: "[I
ground looped]. . . when the wheel camber got so bad I couldn't stop
it." see his website, refinishing, bottom of page 2/top of page 3:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/1653/re2.html

So, what's your problem with the Gall wheel alignment?

Mike Perry

At 08:06 PM 1/2/2007 -0800, Larry Severson wrote:

[snip]

AND the Gall Wheel alignment.
I personally disagree with the whole theory behind the Gall
alignment. But to each his own.

My gear are set up 0/0, and without a dragging brake, I couldn't ask
for better. My plane tracks straight as an arrow.

If you have a hard landing, you will get some splay of the gear; but
if you have the round bottom tires, it will have no impact. However,
if you fly it down to the runway, a hard landing should be rare. In
either case on a normal situation, above 50mph, there is very little
weight on the wheels, and thus no change in camber than an unloaded wheel.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852
<mailto:larry2%40socal.rr.com>larry2@...