No More Sun Bumps ( or finding the neutral zone )

Richard Thomson

Hi All,
I had dealt with all the bumps that had been there on the tail cone
before Xmas, so after the cold spell began to lift back in mid Jan, I
looked to get things ready to start priming.
I started sanding back, and noticed some more bumps had appeared. So I
picked at these and bingo, before I knew it I had stripped about 2 sq
feet of paint without any adhesion at all.
So with Mike D's advice ringing in my head, I decided enough was enough
and set to work to strip it all off the tail cone. This is now done,
and I have started to refill with epoxy filler and things are at last
seemingly better. At least I can now see the substrate and know that
the filler will be good.
Now the interesting part is that all the paint seemed to strip from a
neutral zone (To pinch a term from Star Trek), which as it came off in
sheets or strips, the paint was black on the back, but the black layer
was still on the surface it had come off of. So the black layer had
separated causing the lack of adherance. Looking at the paint strips,
the black on the back was firmly adhered to the paint. The black layer
on the tail cone was also firmly attached. So it was the black layer
that had "split"! Has anybody else had this happen ? Is this relate to
damp conditions?
This has caused me to wonder what to do with regard to the refinishing.
I am using epoxy primer, and two pack poly top coat, which is an
effective UV barrier, so do I need to reapply the black layer with the
possible further problem of lack of adhesion ? Do you guys still use
the black UV layer, or have you all moved on from it now ?

Richard Thomson
Tri Q G-BMFN 368 hours old.
richard@cloudland.co.uk