Bob Justin's accident

Sam Hoskins

I have been receiving bits and pieces about Bob Justin's Tri-Q accident.
Today I heard about as much as I'm going to get, so I thought I'd pass it
along. I have spoken with Bob's son and the FAA investigator. I also
received a couple of photos of the wreck, after it had been moved to a
hangar. The FAA investigation is largely complete and that information will
be passed onto the NTSB. The investigator expected a probable cause in 18
months or so.

Bob, 68 years old, had a Tri-Q with a Revmaster. He purchased this
aircraft. Bob reported a rough engine to ATC and was making an emergency
landing.

Apparently the cylinder hold down bolts worked loose. He wouldn't come out
and say exactly what caused the engine roughness, but the FAA guy advised
that Revmaster pilots should check the torque on these bolts. I don't know
if they loosened or stripped out. I am not familiar with the rRvmasters so
I don't know it the cylinders are held on with through bolts or not.

From his son's description of the propeller damage it sounds like the engine
was turning.

It was also mentioned that Bob landed in a plowed field, perpendicular to
the rows. It sounds like the nose gear broke on touchdown then flipped over
on it's back There was substantial damage to the tailcone and the rear
wing. Fire pretty much consumed everything from the instrument panel
forward.

His son speculated that Bob was knocked unconscious on impact.

That's the facts as described to me. Draw your own conclusions.

Sam Hoskins Q-200
Murphysboro, IL