Re: fire extinguishing system

Darrell Daniels <log@...>

Has anyone ever considered a fuel dump or is this expectable Darrell Daniels

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Harris" <peterjfharris@...>
To: <Q-LIST@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:06 AM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Re: fire extinguishing system

It is worth thinking about a safety installation for the Q.

If the crash remains right way up the belly tank is the most likely to be
split and in my case the fuel was spread over 20Yd and luckily did not
light up. I have an extinguisher in the cockpit now.

But the inverted crash needs something special. I was thinking maybe the
canopy should be hinged from the rear or otherwise a pop up emergency
release in the front and air pressure would blow it off if the rear securing
clips were designed right. It could then become part of the emergency list
to pop the canopy with a red handle.

Then you would lose any protection from the canopy but could get out.

Fuel running down from the inverted tanks? I suppose the source of ignition
would be somewhere in the engine compartment.

I would like to get some advice on what type of automatic extinguisher would
be safe to use in the cockpit, Halon, Co2, foam or powder and what is best
for the engine compartment?

The automatic extinguishers mostly seem to be set off by high temperature
but some can be triggered by hand and some can be remote located with a
fixed hose to the expected site.

Peter

_____