Re: Brake Fluid / Rubber Compound Compatibility

Sam Hoskins

Phil, I'm an A&P. We do know things like fluid compatibility and pitted
surfaces.

Over the years I have both rebuilt and replaced the Airheart master
cylinders. One leaks, the other doesn't. I may pop for a brand gnu set,
just to see what happens.

Regards,

Sam

On 4/25/07, britmcman@... <britmcman@...> wrote:

Hello Sam:

I have not repaired Airhearts, but they must make a rebuild kit, and if
the
cylinders have pitted surfaces, they need to be honed just like any other
brake cylinder. I have done lots of Triumph car slave and master cylinders
in
this way. Gasket seals, compression seals, cylindrical cup seals - what
else
is there to do? How about use the appropriate rubber kit for the
appropriate
brake compound? According to published Airheart literature:

"...Make certain that the master cylinder you are using has the correct
seals to be compatible with the hydraulic fluid being used in the braking
system.
Master cylinders with EPR seals are designed for use with automotive brake

fluid which meets the standards of SAE-J-1703 and DOT-3. Master cylinders
with Buna-N seals are designed for use with mineral base "Red" hydraulic
fluid
which meets the standards of Mil-Spec. MIL-5606..."

There is better than a good chance the cylinders are fine but which have
at
some time been cross-contaminated with the incorrect brake fluid.

_http://www.airheart-brakes.com/partsheets_airheart.html_
(http://www.airheart-brakes.com/partsheets_airheart.html)

Cheers,

Phil