Re: Engine weight savings ideas

Sam Hoskins

Mike, the quest for lightness is a good path. Take super care in building.
Resist the temptation to add a little extra here and there.

I have never had a starter and that saves both starter and better weight.
It is sometimes a hassle though, and of course, extra precautions are
required.

I was once talking to Bruce Bohanon about the extraordinary length that
racers do, to keep it light. The guy that built Pushy Galore went so far as
not using washers in the plane.

Two phrases to keep in mind:

"Take care of the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves".

"Throw it up in the air. If it comes down, don't use it".

Good topic

Sam Hoskins
Murphysboro, IL

On 5/2/07, Mike Perry <dmperry1012@...> wrote:

I'm interested in building the lightest possible Q2xx. At the Jean NV
Alternative Engine Forum Scott Casler (Hummel Engines) talked about his
NiCom cylinders, could save 10# off a VW. I started thinking about what
else could I do that I would feel safe with. I'm not drilling out the
crankshaft of a VW (yes it's been done, but only in low horsepower
setups). What else could I do on a VW, Jabiru or O-200?

Has anyone heard of a combined Starter-Alternator for aircraft use? It
seems to me you could save between 6# and 8# by eliminating the separate
starter. Something like this has been done for low emission urban
vehicles:
http://www.valeo.com/automotive-supplier/Jahia/pid/1042

This example is probably too large for aircraft use (around 200 amp) but
the general concept and/or the control hardware might be adaptable to use
with the above engines. Any ideas, knowledge or experience? Any other
ideas to save weight in the electrical department?

Thanks -- Mike Perry

--
Sam Hoskins
www.MistakeProofing.Net