Re: Potential new builder

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

I can't see you being able to fly this plane in any form. I'm a 6'5",
200 lbs string bean and I had to make extensive changes to the fuselage
and cockpit and still don't fit comfortably. My head is bent to the
side, my knees are under my nose and feet pressed against the firewall.
(Not a pretty sight) It simply isn't designed for tall people.
Jerry

Joseph M Snow wrote:

Hi Dennis,

The Q2/200 could easily handle your size as a single pilot. One option
would be to leave out the center consolen and set up side stick
controls. There are plans for dual side sticks which could be modified
for a single side stick..You could utilize the original VW engine for
economy. Or move up to the O-200 with extra fuel for a single seat
screamer. Several other engine options are available..QAC did not
recommend the Q2 as an IFR platform, but you would still have the
Moony if you had to go in marginal weather.

Cheers,

Joseph

Dennis Gentry <dennis.gentry@gmail.com
<mailto:dennis.gentry%40gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,

I've been flying since the mid 80s, almost exclusively a Mooney 252
for the
last 10 years. I've been interested in building a Quickie since I was
a kid
and saw the Popular Science article.

Here's the tricky part. I'm 6' 8" and have weighed as much as 290 lbs so
I'm not sure I'll fit in a Quickie. (I have always been pretty comfortable
in our Mooney.) Is there anyone in the SF Bay Area (or an hour's
Mooney 252
flight within the SF Bay Area, which gets me to Reno) who would be willing
to let me try on their Q-200 or similar for size? One possible
eventual use
for a Quickie for me would be to commute a couple of days a week from an
airpark in the Sierra foothills to the SF Bay Area. I could do that in the
252, but it's a tad expensive. The Quickies are some of the few A/C that
are more efficient than Mooneys!

I saw the August event in Livermore, but wasn't sure if it was going to
happen this year. If it did and I haven't already missed it, it would be
great to see a bunch of flying Quickies, even if I don't end up building
one.

Thanks,
Dennis