Re: Emporia

JMasal@...

To piggyback off of Jerry Marstall's fluent note: As darkness clanged down
hard over Dallas, I was in Tulsa watching a grey wall of dark cloud discharge
meandering toward the airport. As I have told about how I like to fly at
550mph on a gratis stand-by ticket, here is what it costs me. From EMP I drove to
KCI and got there about 2pm. I missed 2 packed flights and was told the next
3 to Dallas were sold out too. So just to get out of a sardine-crowded KC
airport I hopped a flight to Tulsa, just missing a flight to Dallas by 4 minutes
then waited another hour and a half for the next one. I got home by 10pm.
Hell, the Johnson's in their ol' 172 has probably gotten back to Utah by then!
Modern air travel should make you want to FINISH THAT PROJECT.

I concur with Jerry that these fly-ins are more than just air-educational
opportunities and a chance for a ride. Even more than that, they are annual
reunions with genuinely fine and positively- spirited fellow human beings. Its
better than a state fair or a wasted weekend in front of the boob toob. I hope
Spud, the grand master of this one, and Jeff and our friend in AZ can bask
from time to time in the satisfaction that their work has created enormous joy,
accomplishment and friendships that they will probably hear very little
about. Not as grand as being responsible for starting a war somewhere in the
world, but a proper human accomplishment.