UP, UP and Away

Jerry Marstall <jnmarstall@...>

AT LAST!! Gee, these engine conversions are really quick and easy. After only 3 yrs and 8 months of recreation and education, my plastic fantastic roared skyward. It was a perfect day, 35F, zero wind and sunny. Nancy and Earnest Martin were there to witness the second launch. The first being 10 years ago. They were there then too.

Thanks to Earnest Martin and Bruce Crain giving me refamiliarization (is that a word?) rides, it all felt pretty natural. Guess it is like riding a bicycle. The plane performed beautifully, nothing redlined and that new Malechek special simply purred. Only loaded enough fuel for a 35 minute flight. Had planned on an hour but this thing burns a lot more fuel than the old Revmaster.

Had a couple of valve cover leaks and crossed wires on my CHT/EGT indicator plus the tube from the plenum to the oil cooler came disconnected. Other than that, just pure fun.

Had my new Dynon100 on too. that is a gem. Can't wait to get the AOA calibrated.

I owe a lot to a whole list of you folks for helping and encouraging me throughout this ordeal. I don't have the time or space to list all the things that Earnest did for me. I would still be a few years from flying if it wasn't for his help and knowledge. And of course, none of us would be flying our planes without the support of our spouses. Nancy ranks at the top.

As I start doing the real flight envelope evaluations, I'll update all. Have to hold tradition with Kevin.

PS: Alan Thayer, I'm halfway to Emporia - are you out there???
Jerry Marstall - thrilled to be flying again!!