From: Peter Harris
To: Q-LIST@...
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:26 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-LIST] Differential brake pictures

Mike,

I have the LS1 canard and the sparrow strainers are OK. Using the LH
throttle cable control for my trim I can leave it free during take off and
climb ie there is no issue with stick forces. I set the trim (for nose down)
after leveling out and final trim with the reflexer which is electric. I
release it for descent and set it again (for nose up) turning base.

The issue that I had with the plans trim is because mine was stiff ie it did
not free wheel and by design it is always engaged. Having set up for cruise,
if the fan stops it was not easy to reset the trim and if it was not reset
you then have to hold against the springs and when speed drops off that gets
increasingly heavy.

Then reaching with the left hand to hold the stick against an increasing
load from the springs and unwind the trim with the RH my head was below the
sill and no view of the horizon. That was ugly with a silent engine.
Similarly the starter key ignition was central and also needed the RH. Now I
have a LH starter button just like a Bentley Continental

I particularly like the LH throttle cable control for trim because it can
be easily locked or unlocked at any setting, and as you say there is not
much force on the stick when it is unlocked.

The plans trim cannot be unlocked it is always engaged and therefore it
needs to be adjusted to the correct setting or otherwise freewheel when not
clamped.

Some of the guys find that it will freewheel which sort of solves the
problem, but by design I think it is not meant to free wheel because of the
ratio. Mine did not.

You could test for freewheeling by moving the stick fore and aft on the
ground while the plans trim is not clamped. The wheel would move like a
little buzz saw. .

I agree the left side is getting crowded. I have aileron trim, pitch trim,
a single finger brake, a toggle for the reflexor, a restart button, throttle
and choke, but they all feel different.

If I was starting over I would make two side sticks and centralize all the
other controls and that would leave the RH available for writing also. Pat
has a schematic from the Dragonfly.

Peter

.

_____