Re: Quickie Q1 registered as an E-LSA?

Mike Perry

Pat:

Several people are confused about the LSA rule and E-LSA. I don't know who those people are other than me. At the local EAA chapter I hear a very different message about experimentals than what you are saying, Pat. What I read in the various magazines also seems contradictory, and at times they seem to be saying experimentals can only be flown as E-LSA if they were licensed as E-LSA. In other words a certificated airplane can be flown as an LSA but an experimental can't be flown as an E-LSA because they don't meet the consensus standard. I would be glad to hear I was wrong.

What seems absolutely clear to me is you can't build an experimental, register it as an experimental and fly off the 40 hours without a private license. This is what Matt wants to do, and I don't think he can. This is what I want to see the EAA fix.

As far as costs go, the Tomahawk costs too much in the first place; I'm not impressed with a replacement that costs more.

FAA Medicals continue as a classic example of a bureaucracy with an ever expanding mission. I support medicals for anyone being paid to fly but otherwise -- too much effort for too little benefit. I hate to pull "I'm a Doctor, believe me" but this time I'm telling you, I am a Doctor and its a waste of money.

Mike Perry

Patrick Panzera wrote:

I agree with Matt, "[E-LSA] is all very disappointing." I would like
suggest everyone bug there EAA chapters and anyone they know at
national
about this. The whole LSA movement does little for those of us
interested in experimentation, and it certainly hasn't reduced the
cost
of flying. I would like to be able to license any 2 seat homebuilt
that
meets LSA stall and top speed as an E-LSA; alternately I would prefer
the FAA do away with Medicals for day-VFR flight.
I'm not sure I understand your complaint.

Are you saying that gross weight is the hindrance?

Since a private pilot with an expired medical (but not failed or
otherwise revoked or surrendered) or a Sport pilot can fly ANY airplane,
experimental or not, that meets the minimum requirements of LSA, there
is NO REASON to license any experimental as E-LSA, which can't be done
anyhow as there is absolutely NO need to do so.

Here's a short list of may of the experimental aircraft available today
that one can build and register as experimental, amateur-built and fly
as a Sport Pilot. http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/likely_lsa.html <http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/likely_lsa.html>
The last three issues of KITPLANES has a more comprehensive list.

LSA is a great rule. It's not perfect by any stretch but it has either
put or kept hundreds, maybe thousands of people in the air who would
never otherwise be allowed. Odds are real good that you already know
more than one person who is actively flying as a sport pilot or is
planning to skip their next medical and switch to sport pilot.

Affordable? The local flight center recently put a spanking new LSA on
the flight line, and has it priced about $10 per hour more than the
literally trashed Tomahawk parked next to it. It has a full glass panel,
including GPS, burns half the fuel per hour, and goes the same speed
except it will out-climb the Tomahawk by about 3x and has a better
useful load.

It's clean, pretty, and my passengers are not afraid to climb in it.
It's booked solid, where as the Tomahawk collects dust and cobwebs.

To put anything but an LSA on the flight line that was spanking new
would have cost the flight center 2-3 times the purchase cost and they
could have to charge 2-3 times the rental fee, it would burn 2-3 times
the fuel, and since it doesn't go 2-3 times faster, it just wouldn't
pencil as a trainer.

Since I'm an instrument rated pilot with a current medical certificate,
I can fly the LSA at night and if it were equipped and properly papered
for IFR flight (which many are), I could fly it in IMC... which I would
consider for the type of IMC we get around here (low visibility from fog
or smog).

A new student can chose to become a private pilot in 40 hours, using the
crusty old tomahawk, spending $80 per hour for the plane and $30 for the
instructor. He needs 20 hours of dual @ $120 per hour and 20 hours of
solo @ $80-- total expenditure on just these items, $4000.

Said same student can opt for Sport pilot in 20 hours, spend $90 on the
plane and $30 on the instructor. He needs 10 hours of dual @ $130 per
hour and 10 hours of solo @ $90-- total expenditure on just these items,
$2600.

Affordable? Maybe. Cheaper? Substantially.

So again, I don't understand the disappointment.

Pat

_
_,___